top of page

Find Free Help Today

Leave it up to the pros to file your taxes for Free

Find Free Help in the Neighborhood

What Forms You Need to Bring

Gathering all your tax documents ensures an accurate return and fast refund!


Click to download and print this list in English or Spanish

It is required that you bring all the following tax-related documents to your tax appointment:

  • All taxpayers must be present with photo identification.

  • Social Security cards or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) letters for all the people you list on your return.

  • Copies of last year’s federal and state tax returns.

  • Birthdates for all the people you list on your return.

  • All income statements, such as Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security and unemployment compensation, as well as other statements such as pensions, stocks, interest, and any documents showing taxes withheld.

  • If you are self-employed or make cash, collect records of all your income and expenses.

  • All records of other expenses such as tuition, student loan interest, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes on Form 1098.

  • If you purchased insurance coverage through Covered California, Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.

  • Identity theft PIN issued by the IRS.

  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund.


Returns that are considered Out-of-Scope

If any of the following apply, we are not able to assist you:

  • Incomes more than $64,000

  • Married Filing Separately returns (If you are legally married and file alone - you may be a Married Filing Separate taxpayer - this is out of scope and we will not be able to assist you).

  • Self-employed or cash income with certain deductions:

    • Taking expenses with no proof (receipts, documented mileage, etc. are required).

    • Business-related expenses over $20,000.

    • Have a loss.

    • Businesses with employees, inventory, or business property.

    • Returns for companies and/or businesses.

Self-employed taxpayers may benefit from seeing a paid preparer take deductions with no proof or cannot substantiate.

The free program follows guidelines set by the IRS. 

  • Canceled debt income (Forms 1099C and 1099A) for foreclosures or short sales.

  • Handwritten tax documents (W-2, 1099, 1098, etc.).

  • Returns for visitors, such as “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visas, that require a 1040NR tax return.

  • Rental Income or income from Airbnb.

  • Foreign Income.

  • Royalty Income.

  • Partnership or income from an LLC (Form K-1).

  • Sale of cryptocurrencies. Please, see a paid preparer.

  • Sale of stocks with more than 20 sales. Please, see a paid preparer.​


Forms that WE DO NOT NEED (These are nontaxable):

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

  • Child Support

  • Veterans Benefit

  • Life insurance when someone passes

  • Settlements not related to a job or employment

  • CalFresh or food assistance

  • CalWorks or welfare cash assistance from the county

  • Inheritance, gifts, or bequests

  • Alimony for divorces after 2018

  • Money from a scholarship is not taxable. However, if you use the money for room and board, or use it to pay other personal expenses, that portion is normally taxable.

  • Health insurance from an employer or county (Forms 1095B and 1095C)

bottom of page